Re: Good music player suggestion

On 12/05/2012 at 14:09, Andrej Kacian <andrej+debian@kacian.sk> wrote:

> Whenever MPD is playing, other audio sources freeze moments after starting,
> or error out - for example mplayer starts the video, but freezes up.
> Seeking works, but the picture always freezes again after a frame or two.
> As soon as I stop MPD playback, the video starts playing normally, with
> sound. The other way around - when mplayer is playing a video, MPD errors
> out with "error opening audio device".

I am afraid the issue may be caused by your hardware (strictly speaking: Linux
driver for your hardware) or configuration.

I had similar audio-mixing problems on Gentoo back in 2006, but that was
matter of editing one or two configuration files. On Debian I have never had any
problem like that.

I am using default Debian ALSA and PulseAudio config files. In my /etc/mpd.conf
I have just:
#v+
audio_output {
   type     "alsa"
   name     "My ALSA Device"
}
#v-

Do you happen to have ~/.asoundrc or asound.conf file laying somewhere in your
/etc/? Or maybe you have configured PulseAudio config files?

You may want to move these files somewhere else and check if your issues
persist. If so, then it might be good idea to ask on debian-user mailing list
of MPD forum/mailing list. Unfortunately, I don't know that much about Linux
audio to help you.

HTH
--
Best regards