Re: Good music player suggestion

Am Sonntag, 13. Mai 2012 schrieb Eo:
> Le samedi 12 mai 2012 14:09:19, Andrej Kacian a écrit :
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Fri, 11 May 2012 12:45:26 +0200
> >
> > Mirosław Zalewski <miniopl@poczta.onet.pl> wrote:
> > >Could you be more specific about the issue? Maybe it could be solved
> > >somehow.
> >
> > Whenever MPD is playing, other audio sources freeze moments after
> > starting, or error out - for example mplayer starts the video, but
> > freezes up. Seeking works, but the picture always freezes again
> > after a frame or two. As soon as I stop MPD playback, the video
> > starts playing normally, with sound. The other way around - when
> > mplayer is playing a video, MPD errors out with "error opening audio
> > device".
> >
> > This happens with MPD and any other audio source (I've tried mplayer,
> > various music players, system notification sounds, pidgin
> > notification sounds and few more). All the mentioned sources work
> > together just fine, MPD is the only one that doesn't play with
> > others.
> >
> > I've tried both "alsa" and "pulse" audio output in MPD, with same
> > result. MPD does support pulseaudio output (mpd --version).
> >
> > I guess this should belong to a bugreport for MPD, but since you
> > asked... :)
[…]
> To have sound in all application at the same time (amarok, smplayer,
> iceweasel, mumble) # aptitude --purge remove pulseaudio
> So, applications use alsa instead of pulseaudio :/

Although I do find that Pulseaudio - the version as currently packaged in
Debian - still has quite some pretty annoying bugs, it is perfectly
capable to mix different audio sources.

Challenge is that all applications need to support Pulseaudio and/or ALSA
is configured to use Pulseaudio by default. AFAIK current Pulseaudio
packages for Debian install a system-wide ALSA config file to achieve this.

Only thing when you use two users, play music in one X session and then
switch to the other session: Then Pulseaudio mutes/stops the first session.
If you do not like that, you need to use Pulseaudio in system wide mode -
one Pulseaudio running as root - which is not officially supported and
currently requires to edit "exit 0" into the start-pulseaudio-kde script
everytime it is updated. This could probably be pinned by a dpkg-divert or
somesuch however.

Other annoying things:

- Cannot handle USB sound cards with lots of channels like Sonica Theater.

- Sometimes chokes with "usb_set_interface_failed" (lots of messages) and
doesn´t detect the sound card at all then. This mostly happens on older
not so fast hardware like my ThinkPad T23 Amarok machine here.

For that reason I removed Pulseaudio on that machine.

So while I can perfectly understand the "apt-get purge pulseaudio" reflex
and I did it myself quite some times, I know that Pulseaudio can mix
together different audio sources. And it seems to do that at a higher
quality than ALSA.

Ciao,