Re: about authentication in kde system setup tool

Victor Nitu <victor@debian-linux.ro> writes:

> On 10/10/2011 07:31 PM, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> Then a dropdown list that says `select user' when I drop the list
>> down none of them are my user, nor root.
>>
>> How is that supposed to work?
> Which are the users listed there? Check their group membership, and
> then try adding yourself to it.

gnusu, hp, harry

 # groups gnusu
  gnusu : gnusu sudo fuse wheel nfsu

 # groups hp
  hp : hp sudo wheel nfsu

 # groups harry
  harry : harry sudo wheel nfsu

above are those on the drop down
-------        ---------       ---=---       ---------      --------
below is my user `reader'

 # groups reader
   reader : reader cdrom floppy audio dip video plugdev fuse scanner \
             bluetooth wheel nfsu gnusu

  All but `nfsu' and `wheel' were set by the install routines.

I created nfsu and wheel for something to do with nfs shares that I
have not done yet.

Attached is a screen grab showing the Authen dialog with the `details
button pushed'
If images should not be posted here please let me know.

I could not capture the drop down but as mentioned above it has these
users:
  gnusu
  hp
  harry

All are actually me and were created for one purpose or another.

> Example, supposing "nobody" is the user that shouldn't be there, and
> "user" your user:
> $ id nobody
> then
> $ id user

Yeah I'm following but not sure how to apply that to the above
scenario.

> I wonder how comes root isn't listed? I might think the drop-down
> selection shows an inverse selection of users (e.g. those who
> shouldn't be listed at all, and the good ones are not shown), and in
> this case you should file a bug accordingly.

I wondered that too, and more particularly why my user is not there.
Unless like you say its is presenting an inverse list.

I will be glad to post a bug report if it appears to actually be a
bug.  It would be my first chance to give something back after
receiving so much expert help here.

> I will be back in a couple of hrs, so if you figure it put by then,
> please be kind and post the result / solution.
> The force be with you!

Sorry I did not figure it out.  It appears one is expected to set some
other user with privs to monkey around with your desktop and of course
I'm either badly minunderstanding (quite likely really) or there
actually is a small bug here.