Re: About pagers in kde

On 10/10/2011 at 16:33, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:

> Are there other pagers than the default one that appears in a vanilla
> kde install?

Perhaps you can use any pager application, but the question is if any does
what you would prefer and how well they integrate with KDE.

> Plus there seems no way to drag applications around by means of the
> pager.

You can drag windows between workspaces, but you have to do it from within
pager (not the list that appears when you hover your pointer above pager).

> Or really even any way to focus on an application.  The list
> disappears as soon as the mouse leaves a boxes' borders.

Yes, the list disappears if you move your mouse from workspace on pager. I
believe that this is how it should be.

But I would expect that list to provide mean to focus window, too. Maybe you
should file a bug/wishlist  report against it upstream?

> Selecting `Display icons' in pager settings does not appear to
> actually do that.. or is talking about icons somewhere else perhaps.

It does show icons, but default pager is too small. You have to either make
window maximised or make your toolbar (with pager plasmoid) higher.

By the way, I prefer Desktop Grid KWin's Desktop Effect. It provides fast way
to see all workspaces and windows. You can focus any window, drag them between
workspaces, drag entire workspaces and add/delete workspaces on the fly. I have
switched keyboard bidding to Ctrl+Shift+D, which I find pretty convenient. To
be honest, this is one of few reasons I have switched from Fluxbox to KDE :) .
You should definitely give it a try.
--
Best regards
Mirosław Zalewski