Re: KDE Support in Debian

Hello,

On antradienis 10 Lapkritis 2009 19:08:48 Xavier Vello wrote:
> Le mardi 10 novembre 2009 17:58:19, Scott a écrit :
> > I tried looking for a KDE Testing CD for i386 and I could not find any.
> >   Actually, I can not find any i386 Testing CD's or DVD's on debian.org.
> >   Haves testing drop 32bit support?
>
> testing is not dropping i386 support at all, but weekly testing snapshot
>  CDs are not always on sync. The recommended way to install testing is
>  using the netinstall CD :
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/daily/arch-latest/i386/iso-
> cd/debian-testing-i386-netinst.iso

Actually, no. Using testing installer is like asking for trouble. Esp. for new
users if testing weekly installer does something (very) wrong, this will ruin
the first impression of Debian and just drive them somewhere else. First
impression IS very important.

As someone already said on this thread, the best and most reliable way is to
use stable netinstall CD to install the base OS, then change lenny to testing
in /etc/apt/sources.list, aptitude update && aptitude full-upgrade and finally
aptitude install kde-standard. Yeah, I know that it is not very user friendly,
but you would have to go through similar hacks to install KDE of daily
installer anyway since it prefers GNOME.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>