Re: kdelibs4 vs. kdelibs4c2

Gerhard Reithofer ha scritto:

Hi Emilio,

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006, EmIscA wrote:

You have mixed packages from testing/unstable with the ones of stable (sarge). There are two c++ compiler transitions for the next release of debian (etch) that lead up to new names of library packages, the ones ending with c2 and c2a. The second transition was caused by serious problems with some libraries with the first g++ 4.0 configuration. See the archives if you want to know more about this.

does that mean, that this situation should never appear when I only refer to sarge pakages in my apt sources?
And also the kdelibs4c2* libs should not be available with "stable" tree.

I will also take a look at the archives you mentionend.

Yes. Stable doesn't have kdelibs4c2*. How have you obtained these packages? Open your /etc/apt/sources.list and check that there are only stable repositories. For "archives" I mean mailing list archives.. I just would like to be more clear..

I suppose that VariCAD is linked against sarge's KDE packages and not the newest one.

But that should not make any application unusable, I hope.

A possible solution is reinstall all sarge kde packages and remove the newest ones. I don't know if this will break some user profile configuration files.

Sigh,
but that will be the best solution for me and my customers.

..

If this CAD is opensource you can rebuild the package against kdelibs4c2. But it's worth the time? It's a version that is discarded in favour of the c2a version for many reasons.

Thank's very much for your reply,
 Gerhard Reithofer
 Tech-EDV Support Forum - http://www.tech-edv.co.at/vcms/