Re: Problems with hal, devices and udev

A Dilluns 23 Gener 2006 13:49, Florian Kulzer va escriure:
> Leopold Palomo-Avellaneda wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have two boxes with a mix version of etch and sid. I would like to have
> > kde 3.5 and the feature to plug a pen drive and appears a magical windows
> > asking you what do want to do. However, I have two problems and really,
> > after googling some time, I don't have any idea to solve it.
> >
> > The packages:
> > ii  linux-image-2.6.15-1-686-smp    2.6.15-2
> > in another without smp, but I don't think that it's an important issue.
> > ii  hal                             0.5.5.1-5
> > ii  hal-device-manager              0.5.5.1-5
> > ii  libhal-storage1                 0.5.5.1-5
> > ii  libhal1                         0.5.5.1-5
> >
> > and a kde3.5
>
> Just some things to check: Make sure that you have the package "dbus"
> installed and not "dbus-1". (This should have been done automatically by
> apt-get/aptitude for your version of hal, though.) Likewise, see about
> package "libdbus-glib-1-2" which replaces package "dbus-glib-1", and
> make sure that you have udev version 0.081-1. Also, if you have an older
> installation which used to have hotplug earlier, I think it is important
> that you purge the hotplug configuration files, otherwise there can be
> problems with udev.

ii  udev                            0.081-1

and hotplug purged.

dbus installed, not dbus-1.

> > in the fstab no /sys, etc .
> >
> > First, when the box is booting, it stoped in:
> > Starting the hotplug events dispatcher: udevd
> >
> > in both boxes
> > so I have to ctrl+c to continue booting and finally, the the kdm is up,
> > manually do a /etc/init.d/udev start without any problem. Why?
>
> Maybe one of the things I mentioned above is causing this behavior.

no lucky ..... it continues ..... :-(

> > And second, I can plug a device, it appears in syslog, etc, but no
> > windows appears. What I'm doing wrong?
>
> You need to install the package "pmount" and add your user to the group
> "plugdev". Then you should be able to activate "automatic" desktop icons
> for your pluggable devices in the "KDE Control Center > Desktop >
> Behavior > Device Icons" dialog.

also, it doesn't work  ..... really I begin to be a bit desesperately. It
really bothers me that a boy near me with redhat can mount pen drive with a
nice window without any problem and I with debian can't !!

Regards,

Leo