Re: moving konqueror's bookmarks.xml to a new system

On Sunday 06 August 2006 11:51 am, Seb wrote:

> That seems to be the way to go now without bothering with the issue I
> described in my second paragraph.  However, I don't want to do that to the
> whole new /home/my_user directory, as I have some files here and there
> that need to retain a different ownership.  Should I do this only to
> ~/.kde?  Because it's really only a problem with KDE stuff.

Yes, that's just what I'd do.  You can go file by file, directory by
directory, whatever you need to do. You can probably see the root of the
problem if you look hard enough.  You'll usually see something like

->ls -l
total 0
-rw-r-----    1 me     me            0 Aug  6 12:09 bar
-rw-r-----    1 me     me            0 Aug  6 12:09 blee
-rw-r-----    1 1002   1002          0 Aug  6 12:09 foo

with the number, or maybe some nonsensical alternative name being your clue
those are the files/directories you don't properly own.

It's bound to be something like this, if you've got gobs of disk space.  If
you can't figure out which files you don't own, I can probably work out some
cleverness with the find command.  I don't know the syntax, but I expect
there's some way to make it find everything not owned by a particular UID.
Or find everything, find only files for a given UID, and compare them to find
the difference.  Or something.

--
D. Michael 'Silvan' McIntyre  ----   Silvan <dmmcintyr@users.sourceforge.net>

Author of Rosegarden Companion http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net/tutorial/