Re: moving konqueror's bookmarks.xml to a new system

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 10:44:42 -0400,
"D. Michael McIntyre" <rosegarden.trumpeter@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> If you are not out of disk space on the device, then it is most likely
> an ownership problem.  Giving your user the same name is of little
> consequence, because it is the user and group ID numbers that really
> matter.  It's rather like how "www.google.com" is a convenient way to
> refer to "64.233.161.99."

Thanks for these ideas.  Indeed, this is surely a permissions problem, as
there's humongous amount of free space in this new system.

I seem to have dug myself deeper into this, as I got impatient and decided
to completely remove ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror and
~/.kde/share/config/konquerorrc.  Then I did a little test by restarting
konqueror, added a few bookmarks on the newly created (empty) directories
above by doing Bookmarks -> Add bookmark.  The bookmark does get added,
but attempting to delete fails with the same error message I described.
Therefore, now the problem occurs even without any association to my old
bookmarks.xml file.  It seems as if the wrong permissions from my previous
attempt to simply copy that file into the ~/.kde directory in my new
system spread beyond that!

> You probably have more than one user, and you probably created the users
> in a different order on the new system, or something else changed in
> some subtle or not so subtle fashion to change your UID on the new
> install.  (Moving between distros is especially likely to cause a
> shift.)

For now I only have myself as user, but perhaps my UID changed from my
previous system and didn't realize that because my user name and group are
the same.  I hadn't realized that the user name and group name do not mean
that they have the same UID and GID, which is what matters.  Thanks for
pointing that out.

[...]

> So the cure for this is most likely to su to root or use sudo and

> chown -R your_user:your_user /home/your_user

That seems to be the way to go now without bothering with the issue I
described in my second paragraph.  However, I don't want to do that to the
whole new /home/my_user directory, as I have some files here and there
that need to retain a different ownership.  Should I do this only to
~/.kde?  Because it's really only a problem with KDE stuff.

Cheers,

--
Seb