Re: Multi-tasking

Matej Cepl on Wednesday 28 Jun 2006 08:39 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I really do not want to flame (I have been using KDE for many years and I do
> not mean to change anything about that), but can anybody explain why KDE
> has so lousy multi-tasking? Or is it whole Linux? I have noticed it for
> long time, but couple of days I was working on Windows XP and running
> something terribly complicated with Access, it was running completely out
> of its mind, but when I switched to the other window where I had Excel, I
> could work without problems and I have hardly noticed almost dying Access
> on the background. Whenever I run something more complicated in Linux (gcc,
> update of slocate dbase), whole computer goes almost to halt (and it is not
> that bad computer -- Dell Inspiron 2200 notebook w/ Celeron 1.4GHz, 512MB
> RAM). I believe that Linux should have perfect multi-everything, but
> apparently there is some problem with my configuration.
>
> Can anybody kick me in the right direction?

You're using a laptop. So I guess you're just another use like me. You won't be
running database daemons or other server daemons on the laptop.

All I can suggest is to recompile your kernel with the following features:
1) Use 1000HZ for Kernel Timer Frequency (I highly recommend it)
2) Enable Kernel Preemption for Low Latency Desktops
3) Use "Preempt The BIG Kernel Lock"
4) Use CFQ as the I/O scheduler

Wish Debian shipped a laptop specific kernel like linux-image-X.X.XX-laptop
I've also been willing to do this but don't have the proper resources.

HTH,
Ritesh
--
Ritesh Raj Sarraf