Re: The shell appears when opening KDE or Gnome

Célio Cidral Junior wrote:
> I searched manually in some directories (like /etc, /etc/X11) and have
> not found anything. I know it's a hidden file, so I used ls -a. I also
> tried to do a search using Gnome's search tool, and found no sign of
> this file.
>
> Do you have a tip for me on how to search for it?

Go to your $HOME directory and run

grep terminal .*

What's the result?

> configure the system, then I put it on its place again. So things got
> (almost) working again and higher resolutions became available from
> Gnome configuration. But now the desktop works only in secure mode.

OK, do you have installed X.org or XFree86? Try (in X)

xdpyinfo | grep vendor

What's the result?

Proper configuration of X:

1) install discover (or discover1), mdetect, and whatever is Recommended by
your X server (xserver-xorg or xserver-xfree86; for further discussion I
assume it is xserver-xfree86, but you should really check it)
2) run (as root and with X shut down)

# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

3) setting of kdm login:

be sure to install kdm and then run (as root):

dpkg-reconfigure kdm

Let us know what are the results,

Matej

Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in his shoes. That
way, if he gets angry, he'll be a mile away -- and barefoot.
      -- J.D. Salinger
         The Catcher in the Rye