KDE froze 1/2 way through startup after upgrade

I just upgraded from KDE 3.3 -> 3.4 in testing.  Before the upgrade I
did /etc/init.d/kdm stop, and after /etc/init.d/kdm start.
Things looked OK, and I logged in.  The window that shows progress in
starting up the session showed up, and reached 50%.  Then it just sat
there.

It doesn't seem to be using any CPU.  I did not hear any sound, and
I'm not sure the sound was working even before the upgrade.  I have a
2.4 kernel with alsa, both custom built.

.xsession-errors on the account I logged into ends with

kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/mplayer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-ms-wmx'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/mplayer.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-ms-wvx'
DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.
libhal.c 767 : org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceDoesNotExist raised
"Service "org.freedesktop.Hal" does not exist"

konsole: WARNING: Unable to use /usr/share/apps/konsole/mc.desktop
konsole: WARNING: Unable to use /usr/share/apps/konsole/mc.desktop
konsole: WARNING: Unable to use /usr/share/apps/konsole/sumc.desktop
konsole: WARNING: Unable to use /usr/share/apps/konsole/sumc.desktop
kmix: ERROR: Mixer_ALSA::setEnumIdHW(25), errno=-22

Any suggestions?

In particular, I think if I kdm stop and then edit the right file to
disable sound in my preferences I may be able to start.  Can anyone
point me to the right spot?

I realize this may be a generic KDE question, but since it came up
after an upgrade I thought it would be good to report the problem
here.

It also seems to me KDE should eventually realize it's hung up and
kill the sound (if that's the problem) and proceed.

Thanks.

Ross