[OT] My distro is better than your distro (was: Re: kde 3.4 in sid)

Please don't exclude the list in your Reply-To header.

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 05:16, David Pastern wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-04-06 at 06:32 +1000, Matej Cepl wrote:
> > You know what? I cannot care less if my KDE is running on XFree86
> > or on X.org. [...] the fact that Debian doesn't bother with
> > following the latest fashion and stays with really stable XFree86 is
> > a sign that it is the user distribution not for developers who are
> > typically more interested in how things work, not that they do.
>
> I'd say a great deal many more people would attest to xorg being just
> as stable as xfree86.

That is not sufficient to alledge functional necessity to end-users.

> It's plain and clear that we have a few 'lackeys' that just love to
> suck up to Debian developers, must make you all feel good.  In the
> end, the average user doesn't really give a shit about the
> developers, and doesn't care about how many bugs there are in a
> release - they just want a system.  If it's buggy, they'll put up
> with it, look at Microsoft products.

I believe it is fair to say the average Debian user is slightly more
clued-in than the average MS user.

> Why are we wasting time on supporting archaic, old and dying arches?
> When 95% of the Debian users use i386 based architecture, why should
> they wait extrordinarily periods of time, so the Debian developers can
> get it working on all the arches?

Search The Fine Archives. This was explained recently:

In fact, there is significant on-going discussion about this. See DWN
for relevant pointers.

> Oh, and I paid for my copy of Libranet [...] (afaik Libranet donates a
> portion of its profits to Debian).

If that is true, it is not widely advertised on their Web site.

> So, in effect, i'm partly paying towards the development of Debian,
> and as far as i'm concerned it makes me a part share holder and I have
> 100% rights to voice my concerns.

The right to voice one's opinion as a shareholder at, say, an AGM is
generally terminated or at least suspended when one begins to use
vulgar language, such as you did (to a greater extent than in the
message to which I am replying) here:

http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2005/04/msg00064.html

Supposedly this was citing the attitude with which you perceive yourself
as being faced, though I have not seen evidence of that, nor would it
excuse it.