Re: unstable: apt-get install cupsys

Am Donnerstag 03 Juni 2004 17:48 schrieb dekkker:
> Am Thu, 3 Jun 2004 16:39:16 +0200 schrieb Igor Genibel <igor@genibel.org>:
> > kdelibs4 needs to be built against libgnutls10 (it is currently built
> > against libgnutls7) while the newest cups libraries are built against
> > libgnutls10.
>
> I don't exactly understand "built against". Does that mean we have to wait
> for a new KDE Version for Cups to work again?

yes

because "libgnutls7" and "libgnutls10" can't be installed at the same time
(same files in the package) you have to decide what you want :)

libgnutls7 and kde works
or libgnutls10 and cups

because kde was compiled on a system where libgnutls7 was installed it needs
this library to work correct. Maybe it even works correct on libgnutls10 but
"apt-get" doesn't allow to install it anyway. In the kde packages meta info
is a field called: "Depends". All packages that are mentioned in this field
needs to be installed before the actual package can be installed.

I'm sure the kde maintainer will correct that by updating the build-depencies
from libgnutls7 to libgnutls10. After rebuilding the new kdelibs package
against libgnutls10 the problem will be fixed. So, if the new packages are
available the problem will not affect you anymore.

That is the disadvantage when using "unstable" as system. It is always
possible that some packages will not be installable, because of such
conflicts.

Fix for now (no further steps needed, even if a new kde is available):
If you need to install cups (even if you have only libgnutls7 with kde
installed) then download the cups .deb file from a debian mirror (should be
in /pool/c/cups) and install it with: "dpkg -i --force-all <pkg-name.deb>"

In theory the same fix helps if kde is not installable. But kde consists of a
lot of packages, so it's very ugly to download all files and install them
manually. In this case I would uninstall cups with libgnutls10 and then
install kde with apt-get (then there is no conflict). After that it is
possible to download the cups .deb file from a mirror and install that
package manually. That makes less work :)

> Sorry, /me = n00b ...

No problem, everybody learns every day... I hope I could help you
understanding this a bit better .)

-- Ralph