Re: Arts, network transparency, nas.

rOn Monday 03 May 2004 11:22, Anders Ellenshøj Andersen wrote:
> I have a setup where I have a server hidden away close to my stereo set, and a
> laptop where I sit. The server has a soundblaster PCI 64 for output to the
> stereo. (Old I know but I am just using it as a testbed for my final system.)
>
> I was trying to figure out the best way to set it up so I can use the laptop
> to control the sound output from the server (which has ogg files). My first
> idea was to install nas on the server, set up some kind of network filesystem
> and mount it on my laptop, use kaffeine on my laptop for decoding, and
> visualisations and stuff, and then output back to the server via nas. But
> this stumpled when I found out xine didn't do nas output.
>
> Then I took a look at arts since I saw it claimed to have network transparency
> build in. But several hours of documentation scrounching couldn't explain to
> me how to set this up. I see two options potentially related to network
> transparency in KControl. First one is a simple tick-of setting, and the
> second is the output driver where nas output seems to be available. I can't
> understand how this can work without further setup. How does the nas driver
> know which server to use for output? How does arts for that matter? The

nas output method does it as documented in NAS documentation ;)
there a special environment variable (don't remember the name)
that tells NAS which nas server to use.  If not given it uses
DISPLAY.   Check NAS docs for further details.   Last time I tried
(guess around 3.0.*) nas output was okay for system sounds but
not for songs.

For network sound setup search the kde-multimedia list.
You should find several threads about this topic.

AFAIR if you send and 'URL' to remote artsd it interpreted
on the artsd server side (at least for wav files) and not
on the client side.  That was a killer 'bug' for my xterminal
environment.

In your case, with the sounds on the server
host, it may be that the right thing (tm) ;)
AFAIR you need to configure .mcop* to point to
the remote server running artsd (without KDE).
I would replace arts on your laptop with a script
that just copied the MCOP cookie from the server
and stored it on your laptop.  Then all arts/MCOP
aware apps should automaticly use the artsd on
the server.

Details what to do (too long ago for my memory)
are on the kde-multimedia list.

> network sound documentation for KDE sucks.

Agreed ;)

> Ideas anyone?

Well X11 guys seem to favor mas.  There is also a mas arts
output plugin, but I don't know how stable it is.  At least
it's not included in debian artsd. There's also NMN and JACK.
As usual you have the choice.  Last time I checked
kde-multimedia there was quite some discussion what to use
instead of arts for KDE4 in the KDE multimedia framework.

Achim

                                      -- reddy@lion.austin.ibm.com