Re: Update of libxrender causes relocation error on startup of KDE

On Wed, Oct 08, 2003 at 11:06:23AM +0200, Michael Schuerig wrote:

> On startup I get an error message, "Could not start kdeinit...", and the
> first few lines of ~/.xsession-errors look like this
>
> startkde: Starting up...
> kdeinit: relocation error: /usr/lib/libXcursor.so.1: undefined symbol:
> XRenderFindStandardFormat
> startkde: Could not start kdeinit. Check your installation.
> Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
> _KDE_IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root
>
> KDE does start up nevertheless. This happens, apparently, after
> yesterday's update to libxrender1. I'm using the prelink package to
> prelink all executables and shared libs. To make sure the error isn't
> caused by some inconsistent state I freshly prelinked everything, but
> the error persisted afterwards. Going back to libxrender1 0.8.2-1
> helped, though. Otherwise I'm running the latest sid.

These type of errors wrt relocation errors seem to be fairly common with
KDE. However, I have never seen them on my own box. Perhaps you need to
disable prelink completely for the error to go away? Even with the new
libxrender1 I can still run KDE fine and get no error messages related
to relocations in .xsession-errors

Chris