Re: Some symbols can't not be shown under KDE 3.1.4 and CVS Head.

On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 11:04:40AM +0200, Ricardo Galli wrote:
> On Saturday 11 October 2003 09:15, Chris Cheney shaped the electrons to
> shout:
> > So essentially someone needs to lart the webmaster at Rio.
>
> Not only, there is  a bug in Debian Qt 3.2 or KDE. I've reported it
> already:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2003/debian-kde-200310/msg00029.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2003/debian-kde-200310/msg00049.html
>
> Also several people are reporting it:
>
> For example "typographics quotes" are not shown although they are valid
> for is8859-1 and iso8859-15, "“" and "”" example:
>
> http://mnm.uib.es/~gallir/tmp/squares.png
> (from http://bulmalug.net/body.phtml?nIdNoticia=1869)

This webpage displays fine for me in konqueror in current sid. The problem
with the Rio site is that they don't use the codes they use the direct
extended ascii characters which don't even show up in console correctly.
This is also against the HTML spec as shown on w3c.org validator site.

For reference I am using en_US.UTF-8 locale, with lots of fonts. I am
also running XFree86 4.3 exp debs since 4.2 does not work with my video
card. I may end up trying to install the ATI binary only drivers so I
can run 4.2 to see if I can reproduce it on 4.2 as well.

Someone said commenting out LD_BIND_NOW may make it work. I am not sure
why it isn't a problem for everyone though.

Chris