Re: KDE 3.1.1 Fast as root but slow as User

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 13:26, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 01:03:38PM +0200, Frank Van Damme wrote:
> > On Wednesday 09 April 2003 11:56, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > > Maybe in, say, DDR.
> >
> > 256 megs ddr = 80 euro. Reason my box has 256 meg :) I'll upgrade once I
> > have a game that needs more for textures.
>
> Well, I'm talking Australian dollars. There was a reason why I still had
> the PII when I *maintained* KDE.

Ugh... Must be painful to compile c++ code on such a box.

<SNIP>
> > OOo is also ridiculous. It should share nore with the other available
> > open source software - such as widgets. I'd be delighted to save my files
> > with those gorgeous QT dialogs instead of the pathetic built-in windows
> > ui clone they use now. I wonder why Sun hasn't used Motif for the
> > Staroffice UI actually.
>
> OOo is ridiculous in so many ways, including a 15min startup time on
> lower-end machines. It's the worst benchmark of anything you could
> possibly pick.

Yes... bad design, bloat, redundant code, all the horrors in one... We use it
at home because of the good support for MS office formats though.

> > > BTW, KGhostView posed no difficulties with huge PDFs, either. Not even
> > > image-laden ones, on my laptop.
> >
> > KGhostview is still buggy. The first pdf my dad tried to open with it
> > showed up sideways, off course the rest of the page in place. Grmbl...
>
> Did you report a bug? :)

IIRC, the data was confidential.

--
Frank Van Damme    | "Saying 8MB of RAM doesn't do as much anymore is
http://www.        | like saying a gallon of water holds more than it