Re: KDE 3.1.1 Fast as root but slow as User

On Wednesday 09 April 2003 11:56, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 11:10:05AM +0200, Karolina Lindqvist wrote:
> > onsdagen den 9 april 2003 09.22 skrev Daniel Stone:
> > > Not to mention 64mb.
> >
> > Well, where I live, 128MB appears to be the smallest size sold in common
> > shops.
>
> Maybe in, say, DDR.

256 megs ddr = 80 euro. Reason my box has 256 meg :) I'll upgrade once I have
a game that needs more for textures.

> > If you know how to "tune" the system to run in 48MB, you don't need any
> > recommendations. If you don't know anything, you might need
> > recommendations. Linux automatically uses spare memory for disk caching,
> > so being starved on RAM not only causes swapping to disk of virtual
> > memory, it also reduces the disk cache which increases disk traffic. So
> > RAM starvation reduces performance a lot.
>
> It's pretty simple - there's even a HOWTO around.

Url?

> > I have no clue about what you do in 128MB, but using the computer for me
> > means more than just starting KDE, and checking that it works. It might
> > involve using some memory hungry program like Open Office (start office),
> > surfing the web (which might require netscape), and then some picture
> > handling for creating web pages. Everything common task that many expect
> > to be able to do. And here I have not even mentioned compiling KDE
> > programs. These programs need their REM, in additional to what KDE
> > already uses, adding up to the requirement. All these activities benefits
> > much more from enough RAM than a fast processor.
>
> For me, it meant Konsole with a few tabs open, a couple of Konq
> sessions, a KWord session, and Mutt having a good go at a 40,000-mail
> Maildir.

I use kmail for 5000 mail-maildirs ;)

> I don't see why you'd "need" OpenOffice or Mozilla.

OOo is also ridiculous. It should share nore with the other available open
source software - such as widgets. I'd be delighted to save my files with
those gorgeous QT dialogs instead of the pathetic built-in windows ui clone
they use now. I wonder why Sun hasn't used Motif for the Staroffice UI
actually.

> BTW, KGhostView posed no difficulties with huge PDFs, either. Not even
> image-laden ones, on my laptop.

KGhostview is still buggy. The first pdf my dad tried to open with it showed
up sideways, off course the rest of the page in place. Grmbl...

> And, as someone pointed out, most of the RAM being "used" is actually
> just cache, so it's non-critical if it gets swapped out.

... and virtual memory under Linux is "pretty good". It's monitoring it that
sucks ;)

<SNIP>
> I agree that memory is cheap, right. My box has 512mb of 333MHz DDR,
> soon to be 1gb. Problem is that people often don't have even $au60 to
> spare, or maybe are stuck with old boxes with older, more expensive RAM,
> or whatever. I was in that situation for quite a while.
>
> Or maybe they're saving to get a whole new machine, this time with DDR.
>
> 128mb to run any OS is stupid, 256 ridiculous. If your assertions were
> true, I'd be demanding KDE go straight back to the drawing board.

Actually I'd appreciate if someone took parts of kdebase and libs under the
magnifier glass again :) .

But anywa, they're going in the right direction. Performance has had a lot of
attention between 2.2.2 and 3.0, and kde becomes more modular each release.

--
Frank Van Damme    | "Saying 8MB of RAM doesn't do as much anymore is
http://www.        | like saying a gallon of water holds more than it