Re: Ralf's X backport compiled with the wrong g++

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 04:37:47PM +0100, Ralf Nolden wrote:

> That's why I'm sticking with backports on a lower revision number to make sure
> that you can always upgrade. The XFree packages though are an exception for
> that because 4.3 isn't in unstable yet.  As people are already using it on a
> large scale I'm probably sticking with what dannys gives me and then see how
> far we can get. The conflicts with the libs in unstable is a good idea unless
> xfree 4.3 isn't in unstable yet. As my packages are using 0woody as a postfix
> this should be a clear division (that's what everyone else is doing too)

You said one mail before in this thread "my repositories are large
enough to fulfill the current desktop user's needs and you can get OO
and Mozilla elsewhere". That's correct. The more outdated Debian stable
becomes many people tend to have half a dozen different backport sources
in their sources.list. Imagine there's a different XFree86 4.3 backport
with a higher version number where all g++ libraries are compiled
correctly with g++ 3.2 (e.g. because this source will give the user a
more recent Mozilla) - after a dist-upgrade all packages compiled with
your broken backport libraries will stop working.

> Ralf

cu
Adrian

       "Only a promise," Lao Er said.