Re: Where do K3b and similar menu entries belong?

On Saturday 15 March 2003 05:14, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> On Samstag, 15. März 2003 00:40, Michael Schuerig wrote:

> > But do you think that K3b Setup belongs in multimedia, too? I don't
> > think so -- for one thing, it requires root privileges to run. Thus
> > my suggestion to put it into "System/More Programs" (i.e.
> > /usr/share/applnk/System/More/k3bsetup.desktop).
>
> One thing is that I think that moving a desktop file because you
> think it's better here than there is a bad idea.

Apparently we differ on this one. If KDE doesn't (wouldn't) enforce
consistency in this regard, I think, packagers should. As it is,
KDE-based CD burning programs all seems to go in Multimedia. Other
packages provided by Debian seem to differ.

> System doesn't
> necessarily mean that a program requires being root either.

Um, you have it the wrong way around. I'm suggesting
"Requires root privileges" => "Belongs in System menu".

> If I want to burn a CD I would look into multimedia, too :-)

That's where I was looking. And that's where CDBakeOven's entry is, too.
In my opinion, though, *setup* programs don't belong there. I for one
want them hidden away. I think it's questionable, whether K3b Setup
should have a menu entry at all.

Michael

--
Michael Schuerig              I was blessed with a birth and a death and
mailto:schuerig@acm.org         I guess I just want some say in between.