Re: KDE Usability survey

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 10:00:23AM -0800, Brian Nelson scrawled:
> Then show them a light window manager, like wmaker or blackbox (and
> friends).  Having KDE be usable on extremely low-end hardware just isn't
> a design goal of KDE.

Well, by default it's pretty heavy. But use a few well-known tricks,
like cutting out Klipper, or kwrited, making /tmp/.ICE-unix owned by
root.root, and a few more, and you'll soon get its speed up. Disable
aRts, too, if you want a speed boost. I ran KDE on my P166 with 64mb of
RAM (later 96mb) just fine for quite some time - and that was KDE2!

--
Daniel Stone 	     <daniel@raging.dropbear.id.au>             <dstone@kde.org>
Developer - http://kopete.kde.org, http://www.kde.org