Re: Yet another TT fonts problem on Debian sid

David Rosenstrauch wrote:
I saw a few msgs about problems with TT fonts go by recently, but none of them seemed to solve my problem.

All my True Type fonts seemed to get hosed after an "apt-get upgrade" a few days ago (not sure what was changed - looks like maybe the fontconfig pckg).

After tweaking with the /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and local.conf files, I was able to restore most of them (particularly Helvetica and Fixed[Sony], which I rely on heavily).

But all of my True Type fonts are still screwed up. (See http://home.nyc.rr.com/darsys/fontprobs/FontBad.png for an example of the broken Arial font; http://home.nyc.rr.com/darsys/fontprobs/FontGood.png for an example of the working Helvetica font.)

My fonts.conf file includes: <dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir> which looks correct to me, since my TT fonts are located in /usr/share/fonts/truetype. But TT fonts like Arial are still displaying as jagged. It was all working fine (I think) up until recently (although I haven't tried Arial or other TT's in a little while), but then got hosed with some update.

It seems like X and KDE both are aware of the Arial font, but somehow are not loading it.

BTW, my KDE is set to not display fonts as anti-aliased across the board (and I'd like to keep it that way).

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!

DR

No answers... just some more observations based on your post.

I am running a testing/unstable setup here with KDE 2.2 from "testing". I had TT fonts working just fine and also anti-aliasing with a "stock" testing install. Various things caused me to pull in the new fontconfig stuff from SID, and initially the fonts looked better, but recently (last week or so) fontconfig upgrades from SID have caused some serious havoc on my system. Specifically, the mono-spaced fonts used in the Konsole app were double-spaced, and I couldn't get some of my fonts to display under the "Control Center"--> "Look and Feel"--> "Fonts" menu. The TT fonts would show up if I had anti-aliasing turned on, but other "system" fonts like Helvetica would not display unless I turned anti-aliasing off.

Based on another thread, I modified my /etc/fonts/local.conf file to read:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<!-- /etc/fonts/local.conf file for local customizations -->
<fontconfig>
<dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts</dir>  <-- Added Line
</fontconfig>

This didn't solve anything, unfortunaltely :(

I like to use anti-aliasing, and since that was the only setting where my TT fonts were available to KDE, that is what I had my system set on during the above mod. Based on your message, I turned anti-aliasing OFF and VOILA....all my fonts are now visable... both TT and the normal System fonts! The Konsole app is now working as it used to, and everything appears "normal" to my eye.

The relevant packages I currently have installed are:

fontconfig - 2.1.92-2
libfontconfig - 2.1.92-2
libc6 - 4.2.1-3
libfreetype6 - 2.1.3 + 2.1.4.rc2
zlib 1g - 1:1.1.4-11

I am running XFree86 version 4.2.1-3 from "testing" I believe.

Bottome Line (for me): Turn off anti-aliasing and make the mods to /etc/fonts/local.conf file. Be sure to run "fc-cache -f -v" after you make the mods to update the font cache info.

HTH,

-Don Spoon-