Re: Shutting down a console locally...

On Thu, Feb 27, 2003 at 06:35:07PM +0000, John Sullivan wrote:
> The best we can come up with at the moment is a ctrl-bspace to drop to console
> login, login as root and issue a halt, but suerely there's a better way than
> this?

the usual X terminal protocols don't support this ...
i already thought about adding such functionality to kdm, but that's
todo.
for now you can create a password-less command login (name it 'halt' and
set the login shell to /sbin/halt) or use my clever script at
http://ktown.kde.org/~ossi/sw/halten.html (the "another version" link is
relevant for you).

> Hmmm - sorry for such a long post!

you call _that_ long? hmm ... ;)