Shutting down a console locally...

Hi there,

(I originally sent this to the list with the wrong From: address - apologies
if that one appears too and you get this twice!)

This is probably an incredibly basic question, but a google seems to show
nothing and I'm tearing my hair out trying to sort out how to allow users to
shut down their local terminal easily at the end of an X session.

I have a small network here, at the moment an server running woody and KDE
3.1, and two X Terms - similarly running woody and KDE. I've set up the X
Terms to execute an 'X -query server' when they start up, and that all works
fine and dandy - the greeter from the server comes up, they can log-in, work,
and log-out (which, correctly, returns to the server's kdm greeter).

The problem is from that point, it's difficult for the user to close down
their terminal. The Shutdown option on the greeter shuts down the server (NOT
what I want!), and trying all the things I can think off (adding a
ShutdownButton=ConsoleOnly to kdmrc, fiddling with the Control Center kdm tab
(which, strangely, has a setting for shutting down the console, but it
appears to have no effect on the greeter), etc.) does nothing...

The best we can come up with at the moment is a ctrl-bspace to drop to console
login, login as root and issue a halt, but suerely there's a better way than
this?

Hmmm - sorry for such a long post!

Me...