Re: Miscellaneous issues

On Monday 09 December 2002 05:04 am, jedd wrote:
>  Howdi,
>
>  I've rtfa'd, but can't find much info on these issues that are
>  currently confusing / annoying me.  I'm using kde 3.0.3 debs,
>  with a mostly sarge, partly sid, system.  Kernel 2.4.19 (custom),
>  and using KDE natively on XFree 4 as well as via VNC.  Mostly
>  I work around problems I find, but building a box from scratch
>  for the girlfriend recently highlighted a lot of things I'd never
>  noticed before.  I'm hoping someone can help with at least
>  one of these.  :)

I'm not up on all of these, but I'll help where I can.

>  CD burning.   Arson seems the best of breed, as far as aesthetics
>  go, but it gets mighty confused with my ide-scsi sg0 cdrom
>  device (AOpen 32x).  gcombust gets further, but it's a less
>  consistent UI.  Arson's lack of data-burning functionality is
>  a bit weird.   What do most Debian / KDE3 users use?  (I'd
>  normally use mkiso / cdrecord in konsole, but the girly's
>  not really into the CLI ... yet.  ;)

I used gcombust for a long time, and it worked great.  I'm now using k3b,
which is the first KDE-based cd burner app that works as well.  I am now
using 3.1, so I can't tell you how k3b will work for you, but gcombust is
fine (confused yet?).

>  Browsing (file).  Maybe it's an MS-ism, but opening the sub-dirs
>  in the lefthand pane doesn't scroll the pane up (to reveal the bit
>  that you just descended into).  Is that normal?  Configurable?

It took me a little while to figure out what you were talking about.  I do not
think that is configurable.  I guess I'm used to using the scroll-wheel to
move it down, and I don't use Windows so I can't tell you what the MS-ism is
:-)

>  Printing m's.  I *think* this is a KWord issue.  When printing
>  to my HP LaserJet 1200, the rightspace on m's is missing, so
>  every m runs into the next character.  Printing from kedit (f.e.)
>  doesn't show this problem.  Anyone else seeing this?

Using the same font? Any font?  What happens if you print to a pdf, then use
kprinter to print the pdf?

>  PDF's.  kghostview barfs on pretty much any pdf I throw at it,
>  but gv copes with the same file(s), which is particularly weird.
>  Anyone else seeing this with kghostview .v. gv?

I have vague recollections of this being a problem with those packages.
Search the list archives for kghostview, to see what the fix was (there was a
fix).

>  xmms-arts.  It doesn't seem to be available as a deb with kde3,
>  or am I missing something obvious?  There's a several second
>  delay after trying to start an mp3 file with xmms.  I installed
>  the custom deb for xmms-kde, which is also damned sexy, but
>  it's just a front-end so didn't affect this problem.  I'm sure there
>  was an arts-output for xmms in the kde2 debs . . . (?).

The solution for this is to set your artsd timeout to something very low (or
turn it off, if you don't use noatun/kaboodle), and the use the OSS output
for xmms.  At least I've never had anything but problems with the arts output
for xmms.  On the other hand, I now use noatun exclusively, so maybe its
improved in the meantime.

>  file .v. web konqing -- I'm sure I used to have the 'home' button
>  configured to take me to ~ when doing file-browsing, and to take
>  me to http://localhost when doing web-browsing, in earlier
>  versions of the deb's for KDE.  Is this a lost feature now?

Hrm, I'd never figured out how to do that (set seperate homes).  So to me it's
a "never had" feature :-)

>  konq-web peculiarities.  I've seen others mention some sites that
>  they get bad performance on -- for me it's www.theregister.co.uk,
>  which is strange because they're pretty pro-GNU/Linux.  I get
>  really slow loads on what are mostly text pages, and about half
>  the time I get pages devoid of text.  Do others get this with them,
>  or is the problem at my end?

This may be the ip6 problem that was bandied about here a little while ago.
You'd probably be best served again by checking the archives for the various
suggestions.

>  home/end key mapping - on VNC this works fine, doing shift-end
>  to select to end of line.  On direct console (different machine,
>  same set of deb's) shift-end on the numeric keypad just shows a '1'.
>  I think I saw something about this, but googling on the relevant
>  keywords is less than satisfying.

I don't actually know what you're talking about here.  In bash? In a text
editor?  I get 1 if my num-lock isn't on, but a capital F in bash, and the
"select to end of line" behavior in KMail's composer if it is.  I mean, I
feel dumb for suggesting it, but did you check your numlock?

Hope that helps.

--
D.A.Bishop

A man, a plan, a caret, a ban, a myriad, a sum, a lac, a liar, a hoop, a pint,
a catalpa, a gas, an oil, a bird, a yell, a vat, a caw, a pax, a wag, a tax,
a nay, a ram, a cap, a yam, a gay, a tsar, a wall, a car, a luger, a ward, a
bin, a woman, a vassal, a wolf, a tuna, a nit, a pall, a fret, a watt, a bay,
a daub, a tan, a cab, a datum, a gall, a hat, a fag, a zap, a say, a jaw, a
lay, a wet, a gallop, a tug, a trot, a trap, a tram, a torr, a caper, a top,
a tonk, a toll, a ball, a fair, a sax, a minim, a tenor, a bass, a passer, a
capital, a rut, an amen, a ted, a cabal, a tang, a sun, an ass, a maw, a sag,
a jam, a dam, a sub, a salt, an axon, a sail, an ad, a wadi, a radian, a
room, a rood, a rip, a tad, a pariah, a revel, a reel, a reed, a pool, a
plug, a pin, a peek, a parabola, a dog, a pat, a cud, a nu, a fan, a pal, a
rum, a nod, an eta, a lag, an eel, a batik, a mug, a mot, a nap, a maxim, a
mood, a leek, a grub, a gob, a gel, a drab, a citadel, a total, a cedar, a
tap, a gag, a rat, a manor, a bar, a gal, a cola, a pap, a yaw, a tab, a raj,
a gab, a nag, a pagan, a bag, a jar, a bat, a way, a papa, a local, a gar, a
baron, a mat, a rag, a gap, a tar, a decal, a tot, a led, a tic, a bard, a
leg, a bog, a burg, a keel, a doom, a mix, a map, an atom, a gum, a kit, a
baleen, a gala, a ten, a don, a mural, a pan, a faun, a ducat, a pagoda, a
lob, a rap, a keep, a nip, a gulp, a loop, a deer, a leer, a lever, a hair, a
pad, a tapir, a door, a moor, an aid, a raid, a wad, an alias, an ox, an
atlas, a bus, a madam, a jag, a saw, a mass, an anus, a gnat, a lab, a cadet,
an em, a natural, a tip, a caress, a pass, a baronet, a minimax, a sari, a
fall, a ballot, a knot, a pot, a rep, a carrot, a mart, a part, a tort, a
gut, a poll, a gateway, a law, a jay, a sap, a zag, a fat, a hall, a gamut, a
dab, a can, a tabu, a day, a batt, a waterfall, a patina, a nut, a flow, a
lass, a van, a mow, a nib, a draw, a regular, a call, a war, a stay, a gam, a
yap, a cam, a ray, an ax, a tag, a wax, a paw, a cat, a valley, a drib, a
lion, a saga, a plat, a catnip, a pooh, a rail, a calamus, a dairyman, a
bater, a canal -- Panama! - Dan Hoey