Re: Konqueror and NY Times sluggish KDE 3.0 to 3.1 Beta 2

On Thursday 31 October 2002 at 12:38 am, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 02:09:57PM -0800, Michael Hoodes scrawled:
> > Let's hope  official KDE 3.1 will fix the problem.  Is there any
> > way I can be insured of that?
> >
> > What confuses me, is how can KDE make an IPV6 call when I
> > specifically compiled my kernel without IPV6?

Comment has been made in this list  that IPv6 dns calls can be made w/o
IPv6 in the kernel. Is that correct?  Or should I compile the kernel
with IPv6 support?

> Sounds like a problem lower down than KDE. If it makes an IPv6 call,
> which times out rather than being rejected immediately with an error,
> that is clearly a bug *outside* *of* *KDE*.

The comment about "rejected" was an assumption by myself.  I didn't
see such an error.   It could be an error outside of "Debian" but since
I see the pause problem within Konqueror isn't it within KDE?.

> Recompiling the debs without IPv6 support is not an option, because
> of the popularity of IPv6. Double-check, with stuff like route -A
> inet6, and ifconfig, that you really don't have IPv6 support. If you
> don't, then there's a deeper problem outside of KDE.

I did check and  route -A inet6 gives /proc/net/ipv6_route: No such file
or directory and /proc/net/ipv6_route:, NET6 (IPv6) not configured in
this system.

I stand corrected. The debs w/o IPv6 is not an option.

You commented to another post here - "It could be Java".  No it's not
Java ... I don't see Java in my task list  or any other "strange"
executing programs when konqueror is pausing. There are several (more
than a few) xsession errors  like kio (kioslave): WARNING:
SlaveBase::checkCached... but that's fairly normal.

Supposedly the problem of the konqueror pause has been fixed
by removal of IPv6 from kdelibs.  (from earlier postings on this list).
Is this coincidental?  Does the konqueror pause occur on other releases
- i.e. Redhat, Mandrake,Suse?

Michael
Michael Hoodes         http://www.hoodes.com            Seattle, WA