Re: Konqueror and NY Times sluggish KDE 3.0 to 3.1 Beta 2

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 07:38:17PM +1100, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 02:09:57PM -0800, Michael Hoodes scrawled:
> > Let's hope  official KDE 3.1 will fix the problem.  Is there any way I
> > can be insured of that?
> >
> > What confuses me, is how can KDE make an IPV6 call when I specifically
> > compiled my kernel without IPV6?
>
> Sounds like a problem lower down than KDE. If it makes an IPv6 call,
> which times out rather than being rejected immediately with an error,
> that is clearly a bug *outside* *of* *KDE*.

    IPv6 support in the kernel is not required to do ipv6 DNS
lookups.  If there is anywhere beneath KDE it is possible to disable
IPv6 it would be in libc, no?

    I've run into similar ipv6 badness with Mozilla and IE including
hostnames which failed to resolve *at all* because of buggy DNS servers
all over the 'net.  (There are some DNS servers that return NXDOMAIN
when queried for a ipv6 addy even when there is an ipv4 record).

> Recompiling the debs without IPv6 support is not an option, because of
> the popularity of IPv6. Double-check, with stuff like route -A inet6,
> and ifconfig, that you really don't have IPv6 support. If you don't,
> then there's a deeper problem outside of KDE.

    Too often, those problems are not on the local machine -- can you
be certain this is not one of those cases?

--
Joseph Fannin
jhf@rivenstone.net

"For future reference - don't anybody else try to send patches as vi
scripts, please. Yes, it's manly, but let's face it, so is bungee-jumping
with the cord tied to your testicles." -- Linus Torvalds