Re: Xfree86 and KDM from kde 3 (unofficial debs)

(sent to Reinhold only by mistake...)

Le Samedi 1 Juin 2002 15:13, Reinhold Kainhofer a écrit :
> Hi,
> I have to install Debian on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 6000 laptop, where I
> need XFree 4.2 to be able to use X (with the trident driver). I
> installed woody and then the binary distribution of XFree86 4.2.
> Everything works fine now, except that kdm does not work (which is
> unacceptable for me, as the laptop is for a completely un-technical
> person, and the login manager needs to have an easy option to shut the
> laptop down (gdm and xdm still work, but they can't shutdown the
> laptop). In /var/log/kdm.log I get
> /usr/bin;kdm: relocation error: /usr/bin/kdm: undefined symbol:
> _XdmcpWrapperToOddParity
> for every attempt to start kdm. Looking at the error message, I guess I
> need to recompile kdm. But what is the easiest way to do this so that
> the XFree 4.2 headers and libs are used (I can't just ininstall the
> xfree 4.1 debs, because that breaks several dependencies)???

in /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers, add an -ac swith to the X command:

:0 local@tty1 /etc/X11/X -ac -dpi 75 -nolisten tcp vt7

but don't ask me why!

> PS: Are there any unofficial XFree 4.2 around that one can use to
> upgrade instead of using the binary distribution without the package
> management?

If you just need XF 4.2 to support new hardware, just grap the Xxserv.tgz and
Xmods.tgz binaries from xfree86.org, install them over your debian install
(in /usr/X11R6), and put a few packages in hold state into dselect:
        xlibmesa-dev
        xlibmesa3
        xlibosmesa-dev
        xserver-common
        xserver-xfree86

and you will be able to live for a few weeks until XF4.2 arrives in sid...

Cheers,
Gilles.