Re: Xfree86 and KDM from kde 3 (unofficial debs)

Hello Gilles,

Thanks very much for your quick response!

Am Samstag, 1. Juni 2002 15:24 schrieben Sie:
> Le Samedi 1 Juin 2002 15:13, Reinhold Kainhofer a écrit :
> > laptop). In /var/log/kdm.log I get
> > /usr/bin;kdm: relocation error: /usr/bin/kdm: undefined symbol:
> > _XdmcpWrapperToOddParity
> > for every attempt to start kdm. Looking at the error message, I guess I
> > need to recompile kdm. But what is the easiest way to do this so that
> > the XFree 4.2 headers and libs are used (I can't just ininstall the
> > xfree 4.1 debs, because that breaks several dependencies)???
>
> in /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers, add an -ac swith to the X command:
> :0 local@tty1 /etc/X11/X -ac -dpi 75 -nolisten tcp vt7

I'm using the kdm from KDE 2.2.2, but that shouldn't make so much difference.

I tried your suggestion, but kdm still crashes because of the undefined
symbol. It seems that the crash happens even before the files in
/etc/kde2/kdm are executed at all :-((((

> but don't ask me why!

According to the man page, this turns off the access control. Hmm, don't know
what this has to do with xdmcp.

I think the XdmcpWrapperToOddParity is really not compiled into the binary
distribution of XF4.2:

root@fermat:/usr/X11R6/lib# objdump -t libX11.so.6.2 | grep dmcp
root@fermar:/usr/X11R6/lib#

I also tried to compile my own Xfree 4.2 from source, but the same thing
happens...

Currently I'm recompiling kdebase-2.2.2 (which includes kdm) from woody, maybe
that helps...

> If you just need XF 4.2 to support new hardware, just grap the Xxserv.tgz
> and Xmods.tgz binaries from xfree86.org, install them over your debian
> install (in /usr/X11R6), and put a few packages in hold state into dselect:

Yes, that's what finally did.

> and you will be able to live for a few weeks until XF4.2 arrives in sid...

Let's hope it's only a few weeks (Branden says the XFree 4.2 packages won't be
available until woody is finished....).

Reinhold