KMail "precommand"

I have been trying to set up ssh tunneling for my POP accounts, and have had
no success as of yet.   On KDE3 I can use the precommand

ssh -f -x -L1100:127.0.0.1:110 user@mailhost "sleep 15 && exit"

with the host field set to localhost and port to 1100. And that works great
(the sleep is to allow enough time for KMail to open the connection before it
closes).  But when I try the same thing on KDE2.2.2 (Kmail 1.3.2) it fails,
saying it cannot connect to localhost.  Is this a bug in the older Kmail
clients or is the behavior different?  Does anyone know if Kmail's precommand
requires an interactive session or if backgrounding ssh is the proper thing
to do?

Jay