KDE 2.2.2 (KDE 3?) and fontspecific encodings

I'm having a problem using the adobe symbot font in KDE. When I try
to select it in KOffice, I can't see the symbols -- it's just
helvetica or some default font. I see the same thing in the Control
Center font dialog, and in the K char selector.

My real problem is with installing external fonts, but this shows the
problem nicely, too. What can I do? I don't have Anti-Aliasing on,
btw.

And does this happen in KDE 3?

Frank