Re: Will KDE make it into Woody?

On Mon, Feb 25, 2002 at 02:58:28AM -0800, tluxt2@yahoo.com wrote:
> --- Chris Cheney <ccheney@cheney.cx> wrote:
> > As everyone else on this list knows dates like are meaningless since
> > it is impossible to predict what will come up and I do have lots of
> > outside pressures that will take away some time.  However, if you want
>
> I think, rather than "meaningless", a better phrase would be "subject to
> change".  The date infomation is, in fact, meaningfull. [Even with the "subject
> to change" proviso.]

They can actually be meaningless since they can be seen to be misleading
if they change. That's why I ignored this list.

> This different choice of wording is important, because, IMO, some people in
> Debian adopt a philosophy of "it's ready when it's ready", which I believe does
> actual damage to the Debian project, and FreeSW in general.  Although I won't
> do an analysis of this here [even though I believe it to be a very significant
> current issue for the Debian project, which deserves significant consideration
> (and discussion)] I think it would be worthwhile for you to consider evaluating
> this perspective, and see if you find it valueable to adopt, yourself.

So you mean stuff should be ready *before* it's ready? Good plan!

Debian doesn't have to move slower than time, but it doesn't have to be
full of half-baked shit, either.

> [Interested readers can learn more relevant to this issue at
> Debian doesn't have to be slower than time. Joel Baker
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200202/msg01069.html ]
>
> > a pretty date list here it is.
> >
> > 2/24 - finish kdebase
> > 2/25 - finish kdeadmin
> > 2/26 - finish kdegraphics
> > 2/27 - finish kdemultimedia
> > 2/28 - finish kdenetwork
> > 3/ 1 - finish kdepim
> > 3/ 2 - finish kdeutils
> > 3/ 3 - finish kde-meta
> > 3/ 4 - finish kde-i18n
> > 3/ 5 - finish kdebindings
> > 3/ 6 - finish kdoc
> >
> > kdebase appears to be the biggest obstacle currently, and the others
> > are probably easier to fix.  I have been working on kdebase for about
> > 5 days so far and I think it is almost finished.
>
> At what point in the above schedule will the Debian archive be in a state that
> doing
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get upgrade
> apt-get install kde
>
> will properly install the kde metapackage on a bare Sid system?  After the
> (projected) 3/3 "finish kde-meta" is done?
>
> Also: Same question, but for kdebase.
>
> Request: Will you please send a message to the list when those are actually
> ready to go, so those who are waiting for those events will know it's safe to
> now do those installs?
>
> Also: If you would fit it in your schedule to do a weekly update/(progress
> report) on the schedule, that would be very helpful.

Why don't you do this, based on information you've collected? You're the
only one agitating for it.

--
Daniel Stone						    <daniel@sfarc.net>
<wolfie> DanielS: it wont let me post