Re: Will KDE make it into Woody?

Thanks.  Great list.

--- Chris Cheney <ccheney@cheney.cx> wrote:
> As everyone else on this list knows dates like are meaningless since
> it is impossible to predict what will come up and I do have lots of
> outside pressures that will take away some time.  However, if you want

I think, rather than "meaningless", a better phrase would be "subject to
change".  The date infomation is, in fact, meaningfull. [Even with the "subject
to change" proviso.]

This different choice of wording is important, because, IMO, some people in
Debian adopt a philosophy of "it's ready when it's ready", which I believe does
actual damage to the Debian project, and FreeSW in general.  Although I won't
do an analysis of this here [even though I believe it to be a very significant
current issue for the Debian project, which deserves significant consideration
(and discussion)] I think it would be worthwhile for you to consider evaluating
this perspective, and see if you find it valueable to adopt, yourself.

[Interested readers can learn more relevant to this issue at
Debian doesn't have to be slower than time. Joel Baker
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2002/debian-devel-200202/msg01069.html ]

> a pretty date list here it is.
>
> 2/24 - finish kdebase
> 2/25 - finish kdeadmin
> 2/26 - finish kdegraphics
> 2/27 - finish kdemultimedia
> 2/28 - finish kdenetwork
> 3/ 1 - finish kdepim
> 3/ 2 - finish kdeutils
> 3/ 3 - finish kde-meta
> 3/ 4 - finish kde-i18n
> 3/ 5 - finish kdebindings
> 3/ 6 - finish kdoc
>
> kdebase appears to be the biggest obstacle currently, and the others
> are probably easier to fix.  I have been working on kdebase for about
> 5 days so far and I think it is almost finished.

Great work!

At what point in the above schedule will the Debian archive be in a state that
doing

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install kde

will properly install the kde metapackage on a bare Sid system?  After the
(projected) 3/3 "finish kde-meta" is done?

Also: Same question, but for kdebase.

Request: Will you please send a message to the list when those are actually
ready to go, so those who are waiting for those events will know it's safe to
now do those installs?

Also: If you would fit it in your schedule to do a weekly update/(progress
report) on the schedule, that would be very helpful.

TIA.  :)