Re: Help Needed Adding Printer

On Sunday 10 February 2002 11:39 am, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2002 13:40:51 -0500
>
> Robert Tilley <tilleyrw@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> > I am attempting to add an SMB shared printer (on my wife's 'doze 2000
> > box) and am experiencing problems.
> >
> > The KDE Wizard will scan and see my wife's printer but cannot add the
> > printer.
> >
> > After configuring all aspects of the printer through the Wizard, I click
> > OK to create the printer.  Then a dialog comes up titled 'kcmshell' tell
> > me that "The access to the requested resource on the CPUS server running
> > on <B>localhost (port 631)</B> requires a password."
> >
> > I have tried my user password, the root password and both have failed.  I
> > assume now that some printing-user account must exist and I need to use
> > that password.
> >
> > Any and all input is much appreciated!
>
> Two things:
> - Do you have an account on the Winbox?
> - localhost:631 is CUPS, as you probably know.
>
> Pull up <the browser of your choice>, go to http://localhost:631,
> and see if you can get in that way.

	I ran into this earlier in my experiences with Win2K!!

	You HAVE to have an account on that box, with the SAME EXACT username/logon
as you have on the *nix machine. This isn't 9x, it's NT (nicetry)!! Account
is on (by default [no, i don't know {or care} how to shut it off]) therefore
you MUST be a valid 'user' on that winbox! This is the same for file shares
on Win2K/NT.

- --
                           OutCast Computer Consultants of Central Oregon
                                 http://outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
                                 griz@outcast-consultants.redmond.or.us
                                                 (541) 504-1388
                                            Toll Free (866) 562-7160
                                 Via IRC at; 205.227.115.251:6667:#OutCasts
                                           Via ICQ: UIN 138930

"Failure is not an option...it's bundled with Microsoft"
						-anonymous-

"Software is like sex. They're both better when they're free!!" - Linus
Torvalds

"As a computing professional, I believe it would be unethical for me to
advise, recommend, or support the use (save possibly for personal
amusement) of any product that is or depends on any Microsoft product."

gawk; talk; nice; date; wine; grep; touch; unzip; touch; gasp; finger; gasp;
lyx; mount; fsck; more; yes; gasp; umount; make clean; make mrproper;
sleep.....
     -- Just another *nix date --