Re: Help Needed Adding Printer

--- Robert Tilley <tilleyrw@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> I am attempting to add an SMB shared printer (on my wife's 'doze 2000 box)
> and am experiencing problems.
>
> The KDE Wizard will scan and see my wife's printer but cannotaddtheprinter.
>
> After configuring all aspects of the printer through the Wizard, I click OK
> to create the printer.  Then a dialog comes up titled 'kcmshell'tellmethat
> "The access to the requested resource on the CPUS server running on
> <B>localhost (port 631)</B> requires a password."
>
> I have tried my user password, the root password and both have failed.  I
> assume now that some printing-user account must exist and I need tousethat
> password.
>
> Any and all input is much appreciated!

Have you done:
adduser usrname lpadmin	;Adds the user "usrname" to the group "lpadmin" in
			;the /etc/group file so usrname can admin CUPS.
?

Is CUPS already setup properly, and printing properly from a local printer?

See the above in: KDE-Debian HowTo for KDE2 & Debian3=Woody X86.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-kde/2002/debian-kde-200202/msg00097.html

If any of this fixes the problem for you, would you please reply to this msg
on this list & let me/us know?  Thanks.  :)