Re: KDE filesystem structure

On Thu, Jan 17, 2002 at 12:45:36AM +0200, Eray Ozkural (exa) wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 January 2002 23:55, Daniel Stone wrote:
> >
> > Using that as the KDE root is just SILLY BAD WRONG EVIL.
> >
> > Do you also advocate having the apache root in /usr/lib/apache? After a
> > while it starts to defeat the whole point of /usr/bin. What next? A
> > Debconf note saying that you have to have "export
> > PATH=$PATH:/usr/lib/kde3/bin" in your ~/.<whatever> to be able to run
> > startkde?
> >

> Apache is beyond the scope of discussion I think.

No, not in the slightest. We are talking about setting a Debian-wide
precedent, which is why I urge you to take it to -devel.

> However, as you indicate, if FHS compliance requires that people should
> change their PATH variables to run software installed in /opt or use
> ridiculously long pathnames then it is clearly something that should be
> avoided. My feeling is that packages ought to be able to install front end
> files by linking into the /opt/bin, etc. However, that is discussion of the
> FHS and not discussion on debian KDE packages.

Well, it says "don't stuff around with /opt/{bin,lib,...}", I think
that's pretty clear.

> > I register my vote of disgust. It IS difficult, in fact, because it
> > means we fuck around with how Debian has done things since well before
> > the Dark Ages. When you ask people what the best thing about Debian is,
> > they respond "policy" (in general; some say dpkg/apt). So what are we
> > doing? Random crap, I hear you say?
> >
> > Don't.
> >
> > Please.
>
> Of course I won't do any sort of change before there is some form of
> consensus. It's a small change, but without agreement it can't be done. Note
> that you are saying it is bad because it's a change to something old. :)

We need consensus from -devel, not just -kde.

> There are two choices KDE programmers favor:
>   1) Installing into /opt/kde{version}
>   2) Installing into /usr
>
> Debian does the latter, but... kde2 vs. kde3.

As I keep reminding you, KDE hackers are upstream, not Debian. They pump
out tarballs of an awesome desktop environment. We make it so you can
type "apt-get install kde", instead of building that stuff. I suggest we
keep this separation, unless coolo wants to take over the packaging
again.

--
Daniel Stone						    <daniel@sfarc.net>
<exel> If Theo de Raadt patches a security hole in the woods and there's