Re: Current state of KDE now?

On Monday 14 January 2002 00:57, Daniel Stone wrote:
> > but I know of no cleaner way to install these. I thought the whole reason
> > for meta-packages like kde was to allow a simple way to update a large
> > group of related packages. Has the kde meta-package been overlooked or
> > have I missed the point completely?
>
> The whole point of the kde{,-extras,etc} metapackages was to allow you
> to *install* a large group of related packages easily. If it was to
> *update* a large group of related packages easily, we'd have to install
> a new meta-kde every time we changed a KDE package. Icky.

Thanks for the clarification!

I installed kdebase, which pulled in several other packages, but not kmail,
which was the only app I was missing icons on. I then used:

apt-get -s dist-upgrade | grep 4:2.2.2

to see what else in kde was available and installed these as well. Now most
of my kde is working again! Thanks!

I'll wait for ben before updating koffice, which is 1.1.1 and the few other
kde packages I'm still missing, as a full dist-upgrade is looking to download
136MB of archives.

I know that updating the kde meta-package every time kde changes would be a
major pain, but it might be an idea to update it when a major problem like
this occurs to make fixing these type of things easier.

Just a thought.

Thanks again for all the hard work!

Cheers,

	John Gay