From: Ron Johnson [mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net]
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2002 8:43 PM
To: debian-kde@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Mouse wheel and "horizontal actions"

On Sunday 13 January 2002 08:24 pm, Christian Lavoie wrote:
> On Domingo 13 Enero 2002 21:16, Bjoern Krombholz wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 04:28:49PM -0600, John Laur wrote:
> > > Yes, that does seem backwards on the CD Player volume. In cases
where a
> > > control is responsible for setting a numeric value like that,
wheel up
> > > should indeed increase the value. Perhaps someone kde developer
> > > take note of this :)
> >
> > I don't agree. You normally sort increasing numbers from left to
right or
> > top-down (ascending). Same for plane steering, push down - go up;
push up
> > go down. :)
> The generic issue is messier. I found that leaving the wheel on a
> horizontal scroll bar would scroll. Down -> right, up -> left.
> Made complete sense to me. Then again, I'm right handed, and the way
> been taught to write naturally associates down with right.
> I believe that an arab, or a left-handed, would think this up/left,
> down/right pairing is completely backwards.
> The generic issue is messier. =)
> I don't claim to be a human-machine interface expert.

Remember the Cartesian Coordinate system: increasing values
always go "east" and "north".

- --
| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net        |
| Jefferson, LA  USA      http://ronandheather.dhs.org       |
! "Millions of Chinese speak Chinese, and it's not           |
!  hereditary..."                                            |
!    Dr. Dean Edell                                          !
Version: GnuPG v1.0.6 (GNU/Linux)