Re: More on libkdeui problems FIXED!

On Thursday 29 November 2001 02:41, Gordon Tyler wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 29, 2001 at 12:12:31AM +0000, John Gay wrote:
> > By removing the /usr/local/kylix/bin from my ld.so.conf file and
> > re-running ldconfig I was able to sucessfully start a kde app! This
> > should allow me to return to a KDE desktop again! I jsut won't be able
> > to run my kylix apps. I don't know pascal anyway.
>
> You can probably stil run Kylix by modifying its startup script (or making
> your own) to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH env variable like so:
>
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/kylix/bin:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Actually, the only thing it stops is running any app's I create WITH Kylix
outside of Kylix and they only depend on one lib, libqtintf.so.2.2.4, but,
since I don't know Pascal that well, I think I'll stick with kdevelop.

On a related note, I've got kdevelop2.0 installed and for the most part I
quite like it's look and feel. I tried to create a KDE based app, not knowing
anything about widget programming, but using the create wizard. After I got
all the kde-devel installed and re-configured kdevelop to reconise everything
was installed, I used the wizard to create a blank KDE app. Everything went
fine, until I tried to compile the blank app. The build complained:

 make  all-recursive
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/jgay/test'
Making all in test
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/jgay/test/test'
/bin/sh ../libtool --mode=link --tag=CXX c++  -O2 -O0 -g3 -Wall
-fno-exceptions -fno-check-new   -o test -L/usr/X11R6/lib -L/usr/lib  -R
/usr/lib -R /usr/X11R6/lib testview.o testdoc.o test.o main.o testview.moc.o
testdoc.moc.o test.moc.o test_meta_unload.o  -lqt -lpng -lz -lm -ljpeg -lXext
-lX11 -lresolv -lSM -lICE -lkdecore -lkdeui -lkfile  -lresolv
libtool: link: cannot find the library `/usr/lib/libjpeg.la'
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/jgay/test/test'
make[2]: *** [test] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/jgay/test'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
*** failed ***

I've got /usr/lib/libjpeg.a but what is libjpeg.la? I can not  find any
reference to .la libs anywhere? Is there something wrong with kdevelop's
settings? I thought libs were either .a for static or .so for shared. But
then I also screwed up my libs so I guess that shows how much I know about
programming.

> Ciao,
> Gordon

Cheers,