Re: "Save Link as..." in ftp-mode

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 10:47:01AM +0200, Frank Mehnert wrote:
> On Thursday 18 October 2001 20:14, Josh Hansen wrote:
> > I guess the reasoning is that in FTP mode you're really just reading a
> > virtual filesystem via the ftp IO slave. So in other words, HTTP is
> > like your normal web browser, FTP is like your normal file manager
> > program. It's just a matter of paradigm.
>
> Maybe, but why we differ between ftp and http? We can work in http mode

Because they are completely different protocols. That's why. ;)

> in the same way as in ftp mode: Following a link, going up one directory
> and so on.

FTP is basically a 'stripped down shell' which allows data transfers. HTTP
is a protocol that only allows single document retrievals. You cannot do a
'ls -l' in HTTP.

FTP is displayed just like a local disk, or any disk. "Save as..." doesn't
really make sense here, just like it doesn't make sense  when you read a
CD-ROM or floppy. What _does_ make sense is "copy", "move", etc.

Only when you use FTP over a (HTTP) proxy, then Konqueror speaks HTTP (to
the proxy) and uses the proxie's directory listing mode.

--
Jens Benecke ········ http://www.hitchhikers.de/ - Europas Mitfahrzentrale

Crypto regulations will only hinder criminals who obey the law.