Re: Windows get out of bounds

On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 11:21:04PM +0200, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> is there any known way to tell X to make the screen place, where the
> panels are, _not_ available to apps? May exact problem:

That is the case with kdm. It tells the apps that 'maximum' has become
smaller.

> I can grab e.g. a konsole and move it with the mouse to the top. and drop
> it there. The problem is that there is also the window panel (as it was
> in KDE1). There is NO WAY to get it moved from that position anymore but

There always is. :-)

Right mouse button anywhere on the corners, or hold ALT and drag anywhere.

> to hide the window panel and grab it at the few pixels that are still
> there.  Also when an app resizes itself but not with the maximaized flag
> set, the top get hidden behind the window panel. This is really annoying
> :-( This is defnitely a window manager problem.

No (at least that was what I was told when I filed a bug about this during
KDE1 times): KDE cannot and doesn't want to actually _prevent_ apps from
going underneath other windows, because that is the whole point of window
mangement. It only provides hints (and thank $DEITY these are standardized)
to the applications, where available screen space is.

mplayer for example doesn't listen to these hints and always places itself
in the top right corner. This is annoying (because I have my kicker bar at
the top) but it's not kwm's fault.

> Also, there is a nasty thing in the configuration dialog of konqueror for
> a few version by now. The preferences dialog open too small at the middle
> of the screen and then get resizes but not repositioned. So most of it is
> not accessible if I o not move it. This is annoying, too, but it seems I
> am the only one having such problems, am I?

No. It's cosmetics, and many developers aren't really interested in the
'final polish'. KDE needs this however - one thing I don't like is that
when you alt-F2-rename a file and press ENTER the 'cursor' goes back to top
left (first file icon) in Konqueror. All those little things ...

> -- Mein GPG-Key ist auf meiner Homepage verfügbar:
> http://www.hendrik-sattler.de oder über pgp.net

Warum eigentlich nicht auf einem keyserver?

--
Jens Benecke ········ http://www.hitchhikers.de/ - Europas Mitfahrzentrale

Crypto regulations will only hinder criminals who obey the law.