Hosed KDE

I recently ran "apt-get upgrade" and it completely hosed my xfree86 server.
After poking around for hours, it turns out that there was a hodge-podge mix
of 3.x and 4.0 xfree86 stuff. Not having a working server,  I finally gave up
and purged xfree86-common from the system ('apt-get remove xfree86-common').
Then I went a step further and deleted directories that didn't get removed,
because of files that had changed. Then I reinstalled, xfree86, and then
reinstall kde. I managed to get xfree86 up and running.

Now the problem is, that KDM comes up with the login prompt and upon
attempting to log in, it just comes back to the login prompt.

I can do a console login and start x using "startx" and then the only window
manager I've been able to get started is blackbox, by typing "blackbox&" in
the xterm prompt that startx leaves me in.

I tried to remove kdm and it gives the following:

System:~# dpkg -P kdm
(Reading database ... 57474 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing kdm ...
Stopping K display manager:  not running /var/run/kdm.pid not found.
dpkg: error processing kdm (--purge):
 subprocess pre-removal script returned error exit status 20
 kdm

How can I fix kdm?