Re: Failed upgrade to KDE 2.2.1

Oliver, I believe that you have it exactly.

I came to grief with similar overwrite problems. There are a number
of them in the upgrade, including between kdelibs3 and konqueror.
Your analysis that the problem arises from a different location of
files between versions 2.1.x and 2.2.1 is bolstered by my
experience that the problem didn't occur when I installed KDE 2.2.1
to a new ``minimal installation" Libranet system (on which KDE
had not previously been installed).

Note to Ivan Moore (maintainer of Debian KDE packages): this
situation is what led me to ask a question in public ten days about
the packaging. For users still on the learning curve of Debian
packaging (i.e. who don't know about dpkg -i --force-overwrite
<foobar>), it leaves them with a broken system. I would
recommend some remedial action, but should that be a bug report
against the package at debian.org or at kde.org?