Re: Printing with KDE 2.2

On Wednesday 05 September 2001 22:15, Jens Benecke wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 01:14:56PM -0700, David Bishop wrote:
> >
> > > Would it be better to change from lpr to lnprg or cups?
> > Yes :-)  Switching to cups is painless, and easy.  If this is a home pc,
> > apt-get install cupsys cupsys-client kups, configure the server by going
> > to localhost:631, and configure kde to use the localhost cups server.  I
> > use it at both work (with a color laser) and home (with an Epson 777 via
> > usb), and it's just great!  But I've hated the lpr/lpd/printcap
> > "solution" since day one.......
>
> The coolest thing about CUPS is that once you have _one_ CUPS server in
> your network and you configure it as master, it will automatically know
> and publish _every_ printer in your network (as long as they are public).
> Just activate the browsing feature in cups.conf.
>
> No local drivers, no hassle, no installing anything.

Yeah! a local cupsys-bsd installation is as light wight as rlpr but much
more powerful.   But please stop spread the word about cups.  Too many
IT people lose their jobs today and I don't like the imagination that
another dozen of thousand admins lose their job because every Joe User
can install and manage printer on Unix systems ;)

Achim

                                      -- reddy@lion.austin.ibm.com