objprelink and KDE/QT
I know at least one person is interested in this as he's been beating
me up over this for a week. :) So...here's an update and info.
I *just* found the problem I have been fighting with for a week now which
was causing my qt libs to end up being an extra 2+meg. So now that I got
that fixed I'll be uploading a new set of libqt* packages. Here are the
I spent quite a bit of time cleaning up the build process to take care
of some custom needs for different platforms. During this process I
merged in the libqt2-gl build bits into the qt-x11 source. This reduces
the size of the source archive by 10+ megs.
I merged in some patches out of the qt-copy CVS tree. This should
clear up some problems some of you might have had.
For x86 builds we are now using the objprelink process. What does this mean to you? Well on average a 20%-30% increase in application startup time. In
order for this to work the application you are using (g++ application to be
specific) must have been built using this process. Currently this is just for
x86 but eventually the code will exsist for other archs (there are beta powerpc
bits out there now).
so...qt will be uploaded tonight most likely. KDE 2.2 (final) packages will
be out soon and we'll see if this helps some of you on older hardware.
if you are a KDE package maintainer for Debian and you want to follow suite
take a look at the CVS code for any of the packages I maintain and you'll
see the code. Basically 2 bits...one in debian/rules and one in
admin/acinclude.m4.in. (remember that this should only be done for x86 builds)
if you have any questions please feel free to contact me. And if you
want a copy of the kdelibs 2.2 final packages prior to Monday so you can
upload at the same time let me know and I can drop them somewhere for you.
Ivan E. Moore II
GPG Fingerprint=F2FC 69FD 0DA0 4FB8 225E 27B6 7645 8141 90BC E0DD