Re: How get KDE setup as the "desktop manager"?

Slaven, anyone, do ou know the answer to the question below?

SP sent me the following: (quoted with permission)
--- Slaven Peles <umpeless@cc.UManitoba.CA> wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 August 2001 20:33, tluxt wrote:
> > Now, I can get an X GUI up with the KDE login screen, but upon login I
> > don't have the KDE desktop, just the same X desktop as previously.  I
> > can start Konq from a shell, and access the www.
>
> KDE Login manager has a pop-up menu which lets you choose a window manager. I
> remember when I installed KDE debs there was only [Debian's] 'default' window
> manager available, so this is most probably what you are getting. You can add
> other window managers by choosing K ->  Preferences -> System -> Login
> Manager, and playing with it a little bit.  You can also make a file
> .xsession in your home directory with a single line: 'exec startkde'. That
> way you'll always get KDE when you log in.

Ok, I'll look into trying this.

Here's my question now:
After installing a minmal Potato system, then the tasksel X package,
if I then install the KDE package with tasksel, should that automatically set up the KDE
window manager, or do I have to also edit some files or set some control panel
options to get KDE as the manager, not twm?????

(Sometime late last year IIRC I set up a Potato system with X & KDE that came
right up into the KDE window manager, without any further steps on my part.
Has that changed, or do InotRC?)

> > root to work on the KDE install).
> >
> > At the text command prompt, as root, "startkde" gives an err msg, which
> > IIRC is:
> > Unable to open display ""
> >

> My understanding is that 'exec startkde' should be in your .xinitrc file.
> Command xinit (or startx) starts your X windows system, and startkde starts
> KDE window manager once X is up.
>
> Slaven

Thanks Slaven.