How get KDE setup as the "desktop manager"?

Hi,

I've done a potato install, and got X running.  I got an X GUI up,
which shows a Debian task list on the left mouse button.

I used Tasksel to install KDE.

Now, I can get an X GUI up with the KDE login screen, but upon login I
don't have the KDE desktop, just the same X desktop as previously.  I
can start Konq from a shell, and access the www.

Note: I get that KDE login by either or both (I don't recall now)
booting up, or typing "startx" at a text command prompt (logged in as
root to work on the KDE install).

At the text command prompt, as root, "startkde" gives an err msg, which
IIRC is:
Unable to open display ""

Any ideas?

Thanks!