Re: KDM Failure + Kcontrol errors

>So, I shall write what modules fail:
>
>look & feel : system notifications
>sound:        midi
>sound:        sound server

These are all sound related. I'm no expert with sound, especially since I've got
an ISA card and had to load the modules manually to get it to work. My MIDI
still isn't working properly. This is probably due to the wrong modules, but I
prefer timidity++ to my cheep sound card MIDI devices anyway. I know that my
artsd didn't start up automatically anymore after I did my last dist-upgrade,
but when I installed the kdebase-audiolibs it started working again. There might
be other problems causing your sound troubles but I'm no expert with sound so
hopefully someone else can offer better advice.

>system:       login manager kind of disabled..broken kdm?

This is probably due to your kdm problems. login manager IS kdm. As I said, I
found gdm to be better because they have a way of registering window managers
with gdm and just installing a new window manager will update gdm. kdm, on the
other hand needs to be manually updated, though there was talk of setting up
some auto-update for kdm, I'm not sure how far that got.

>odd...
>
>If you do know a valid potato mirror..please send it to me..
>I'm compiling kde form source now, and it takes a while...
>I started yesterdaynight :)

I'll include this again, for completeness. There are probably others and Ivan
has said that there will be a new master site soon.
Hello:

I am a mirror maintainer of two sites that are shown in:
http://www.google.com/search?q=cache:wO2peEYStdk:kde.tdyc.com/+kde+tdyc&hl=en ,
i.e.:
-    http://sapi.vlsm.org
-    http://kambing.vlsm.org

>Euhm, about the potato getting dated..I agree to that but as long
>woody isn't seen as stable, people should take care for it too....

Yes, woody, I.E. testing is not fully stable, however it is supposed to be
fairly close. Packages in testing are supposed to be free of release critical
bugs for some time before they are accepted into testing. This does not
guarantee that you won't have problems with it, but the problems you do have
should not be disastrous. Also, if more people are working with testing then
Debian gets more bug reports and can get more fixed faster. So the general
guidelines I follow are:

If you know very little about Linux, computer internals or just want rock-solid
operation without too many headaches and are willing to use dated software for
stability, then stick with stable.

If you are familiar with Linux and the general configurations and such, are
looking for recent software but still want a system that won't completely break
from time to time, you might consider trying testing. You shouldn't need to be
an expert to keep testing working and you will get more recent versions of
software. Also, your feedback to problems you do see with help the project
immensely I would not run a mission critical system on testing, but I run my
home system on Progeny, which is testing with some additions.

If you are a Linux or UNIX expert, enjoy working with the latest and greatest
and can live with the occasional broken system then unstable is probably what
you want. Especially if you have good bug squashing skills and can track down
bizarre problems. By no means run your regular system on unstable unless your
are willing to live without it and re-build it from time to time.

These are just my suggestions. I'm sure many others have their own views. After
all, Ivan's kde for potato was beta anyway. This was my understanding when I
started using his kde deb's on my system. Granted they were more stable than
most beta software I've seen, but they did have their occasional breaks, though
short-lived. So most people here should be forewarned and might want to consider
trying testing. The sooner we can iron out the bugs in testing, the sooner
testing will freeze and potato will become history.
And thus the circle of life continues, sorry Disney ; )

>Greetz,
>
>hdcool

Cheers,

     John Gay