Re: [debian-jr] Re: Live CD as a focal point for reviving Jr development

I accidentally replied off-list, and sam did the same.
Sending it back to the list.

On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 02:41:50PM -0500, Sam Hart wrote:

> On Mon, 2005-10-03 at 12:29 -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Oct 03, 2005 at 02:08:20PM -0500, Sam Hart wrote:
>
> > > Actually, a lot has changed since the original discussion to use IceWM
> > > (I was actually the original one to propose IceWM in an IRC meeting long
> > > ago). Gnome's ability to just handle things like USB drives and cameras
> > > does actually make it very attractive now.
> >
> > Eep!  Please consider KDE over Gnome.  Don't make me dig up horror
> > stories! ;)
> >
> > -bill!
>
> Actually, KDE was what was used... and the students found it extremely
> confusing with all the features and customizability. KDE really isn't a
> very good option.

The Kiosk Framework would no doubt be useful here.

I've set it up in the past as web browsing public access terminals, and,
while I admittedly REALLY slimmed it all down (only browser & calculator
available, pretty much), it worked quite well.

Since I did that, a GUI tool for configuring it has been created, which
is great.  Parents/teachers could go in and tweak whatever default
'lock-down' settings the default 'Jr' setup provides, if needed.

  http://extragear.kde.org/apps/kiosktool/

Googling for "kde kiosk framework" brings up loads of useful-looking articles
and stuff, too. ;^)

<snip>
> The only reason why Gnome now seems more viable than it used to is
> because of all the support in the desktop environment for out-of-the-box
> USB devices.

I think KDE does, too, or is close.  I guess it depends on what exactly
Gnome is _doing_ with the devices.

> Things like that just working in the classroom is a very
> nice thing. Also, Gnome is more obfuscated so it can be harder to tweak
> and customize than KDE, and it has a more limited interface (both of
> which are ideal for the classroom).

I guess that's why I don't like Gnome.  They got rid of the "Apply" button
in config screens!  YIKES! <:^(

> Remember, we're not talking about environments we like to use (if we
> were, I'd be advocating using Fluxbox or Ratpoison in the classroom :-)
> We're talking about what provides a simple-enough interface as to not
> cause confusion, and yet gives them the most functionality for their
> buck.

Of course.  Depending on the age group, something like Apple's old
"Launcher" would be appropriate.  Older kids would probably enjoy something
tweakable like KDE (or Gnome), too.

--
-bill!
bill@newbreedsoftware.com